Sunday, October 23, 2011

Spiritual Sunday: Visiting Teaching

I've been thinking all day about what I wanted to blog about today and nothing seemed quite right, til I remembered what I had done earlier this week. I did my visiting teaching! I don't really enjoy visiting teaching because I have a hard time talking to people I don't know very well and I just don't have much experience with it in general. Luckily, my companion is a member of the Relief Society Presidency, and she has been just great at arranging the visits and helping the conversation flow. This month it's my turn to do the lesson and I was really nervous; I had never done it before.

Wednesday came around and it had just been a rough day for me in general. I really did not want to go visiting teaching. I wanted to change into my jammies and watch tv and drink diet coke and eat junk food. But I told Dani I would go visiting teaching with her. And I went. 

The message this month is "If We Do Not Doubt" by Julie Beck. She discusses the stripling warriors and how 
“If they did not doubt, God would deliver them” (Alma 56:47).
saying:
“We do not doubt our mothers knew it” (Alma 56:48).
 She encourages us to strive to be like these mothers, so that our children, too, will not doubt we knew it. She concludes with
Latter-day Saint women who recognize that their strength comes from the Lord’s Atonement do not give up during difficult and discouraging times. As covenant keepers, we excel at upholding, nurturing, and protecting children and youth so that one day we might say of this rising generation, “Never had I seen so great courage, nay, not amongst all” (Alma 56:45).
 Even though Sister Beck didn't say it, I think it's also okay to take out of this message that even as women, we can be as the warriors too. We can emulate both the warriors and the mothers. It takes all types of courage.

Dani and I discussed this message with our sister and I really had a great time. We were able to just talk about our lives, which isn't something I get to do with other girls very often. And I left with a smile on my face. I didn't want to go visiting teaching, but I'm glad I did. It totally changed my attitude, and it wasn't the message that did it.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you ended up enjoying the visit! I find that Visiting Teaching is always a good break from my daily life and a great opportunity to get to know and interact with other sisters in the ward.

    ReplyDelete