Wednesday, August 24, 2011

That Was Then, This Is Now

That Was Then, This Is Now


"Things used to be simple and now they weren't"

"I wish I was a kid again, when I had all the answers"


When I first picked up this book I had high hopes, but I also knew that they could be shattered quickly. Hinton did amazing with The Outsiders - it's one of my favorite books - but I was not as fond of Tex. So I just didn't know. (Also, I didn't realize how many books Hinton has written!)

That Was Then, This Is Now is a coming of age book that could be said to be a companion to The Outsiders.  It takes place in the same town. Ponyboy Curtis and some of the Shepherds make appearances, even playing a small role in the story line.  The story is about Bryon and  Mark, best friends who are closer to brothers. Mark has been living with Bryon and his mother for years.But of course, as they get older, things start to change and it starts to lead the boys in different ways. And this book tells their story.

I did rather enjoy this novel.  It is not The Outsiders. It did not make me cry. It did speak to me though. I did like it. And I do recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment