Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Nothing but the Truth


In a series of overreactions and escalating events, the documentary style novel of Nothing but the Truth tells the tale of Phillip, who was suspended for humming the national anthem; Miss Narwin, the teacher directly involved; and the effects of Phillip's story on the town and, as it escalates, the nation. As the title implies, the subject of the novel is the truth, and how different people may have different truths for themselves. 


I was a little hesitant in starting this novel, especially after I didn't particularly care for the last Avi novel I read, Don't You Know There's a War On?, but I really liked the twist at the end. At first I was all, "Oh, of course Ammon's teacher had them read a book about how a naughty student can ruin a teacher's life." But now I see the real reason she had them read it. I really liked Nothing but the Truth and the lesson it teaches. 


Read on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment