Saturday, May 7, 2011

Soul Mates and Free Agency

As I am approaching marriage, I have been thinking a lot about the concept of having a soul mate. A part of me likes the idea, the thought that there is someone made just for me. My perfect match. But it kind of bothers me too. Like the "other half" saying.  That's like I'm not complete all on my own. But then there is something to be said for how your lover completes you, makes you a better person, too, all at the same time. Or are we just drawn to the type of person that makes us want to be a better person? 


The Church does not believe in soul mates, in there being even just one perfect person for you.  But it does believe in a pre-mortal existence, and we know that we had all sorts of relationships before we came to earth.  There is nothing saying that it's not possible to have met your eternal companion before this life. However, the concept of free agency clearly negates the possibility, or at least the necessity, of soul mates. If there is one person specifically for us, then we are not free to choose them on this earth. We would be predestined to meet them, love them, and marry them.  There would be no choice involved, which is contrary to free agency. 


Yet, a part of me likes the idea of having known Cass before, but I think of it in a different way. More pure and innocent, like kindergarteners.  Not like on Saturday's Warrior where we sang and danced and promised to meet each other.  Just friends, talking about what earth life would be like, about our hopes, fears, and all that. 


So I have come to the decision that it is possible for people to have known their significant other before they came to earth, but were not necessarily in love the way we are on earth. Nor do I believe that everyone must have known in heaven, because there are so very many people on earth just right now, not to mention all those before and after our life time. And so, it's  a nice thought, but I do not believe in soul mates or foreordained lovers. Free agency overrules that concept.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. I can't say I'd ever sat down and pondered it much, but you bring up some great points.

    ReplyDelete